The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Last Saturday at Wesley's Chapel


There is a phenomenon I have noticed. When I start to like something it quickly goes out of fashion and becomes hard or even impossible to get hold of. I experienced this once again recently with the Congregational Studies Conference. I remember years ago seeing the annual meetings advertised and thinking about going. I was slightly put off by the fact I am not a Congregationalist. Anyway three years ago I started attending. I think it was the presence of Michael Haykin that finally jerked me into action. Well, this year they announced to be the last. If like me you have often thought about going and never made it I suggest you get in touch with Digby James or someone else and tell them that if they will get one organised nest year you promise to come. See what you can do.
As for the conference itself we had three good papers and a short presentation on Trevecka College by Digby. I missed Digby and the first paper from Dominic Stockford (although he kindly let me have his printed manuscript which I have now half read). Dominic gave The Alan Tovey Memorial Lecture on Calling a Minister (What are we looking for and how do we go about it?).
In the afternoon Richard Underwood spoke helpfully on Supporting the Ministry and Peter Beale again helpfully on The Minister in Retirement.
The mp3s are on the website as are details of the lectures as they are published. See here. A recording of my own lecture from 2017 is here.
The picture above shows the conference secretary Peter Beale seated and the conference chairman Digby James standing.

No comments: