The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Songs that reference Bob Dylan by T Rex and others

Bob Dylan with Neil Young
1. Ballrooms of Mars T Rex
the monsters call out The names of men Bob Dylan knows And I bet Alan Freed did There are things in night That are better not to behold
2. Mystic Lady T Rex Oh bobby you're a hobby With the learned ones Like a setting sun
3. Telegram Sam T rex
Bobby's alright Bobby's alright He's a natural born poet He's just outta sight
(Some say Bolan is from BOb dyLAN)
4. Fizzy Jesus and Mary Chain
Elvis lives and Bob Dylan is dead And OJ's wife's crawling back from the dead
5. Chinese Bakery The Auteurs
just somebodys past Don't blink, pinch me twice Just seen Bob Dylan on a motorbike I don't think this relationship will last
6. Flags of freedom Neil Young
Sister has her headphones on She hears the music blasting She sees her brother marchin' by Their bond is everlasting Listening to Bob Dylan singin' in 1963 Watching the flags of freedom flyin'
7. God Plastic Ono Band
I don't believe in Zimmerman I don't believe in Beatles I just believe in me Yoko and me And that's reality
8. Song for a small circle of friends Larry Norman
Dear Bobby watch your fears all hide And disappear while love inside starts growing You're older but less colder Than the jokes and folks you spent your childhood snowing
9. A Simple Desultory Phillipic Simon & Garfunkel 
I knew a man, his brain so small  He couldn't think of nothing at all  He's not the same as you and me  He doesn't dig poetry. He's so unhip that  When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas  Whoever he was  The man ain't got no culture  But it's alright, ma  Everybody must get stoned
10. Folk City Jan &Dean
I'm gonna sing all the words like Bob Dylan does 'bout where it's at and where it was

2 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

Hoe could you miss "Song for Bob Dylan" by Bowie :-) Now here this Robert Zimmerman I write a song for you about a strange you do man called with a voice like sand and glue...

Gary Brady said...

Sorry to disappoint. I was aware of it. I missed out that and a Belle and Sebastian song and one or two others that seemed more obvious (like Dylan's own YSOme they call me Zimmy, etc.)