The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 17 2017

We were around 40 again Sunday morning (half members, half not; some members and others missing as ever) and about half of that in the evening when we began with communion. It was nice to have our other Seminary student back from his months in South Africa. In the morning I carried on with Acts 8, meditating on what was the worst of times and yet at the same time the best too. In the evening we returned to our studies in Matthew 13, looking at the very interesting verses 51, 52. One of the newer members of our congregation brought a relative, a ten year old, so I was keen to make it accessible to them and more or less managed it I hope. It was my son's last Sunday before heading off to university. I've just taken in that there are now three or four Nigerians in their early twenties around, who often attend. It would be good to try and do something to help them.

No comments: