The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 10 2017

We had a good turn out Sunday morning, almost 50 altogether, even though two regular families were away.. We were swollen by the presence of a family of seven who have come to us from time to time since they moved to the UK but have never really settled anywhere. I hope we see them again soon. We also had all three of the people who began to come to us after the mission and the close of a health and wealth church in Golders Green (the building now sold to Muslims I hear) and my son and family were with us too as well as a new seminary family again who I hope will stick with us. I went back to Acts, preaching on the final verses of Acts 7 and the death of Stephen. It's good to be back to straight exposition. For some reason I read half the evening reading in the morning. I think I was  a bit distracted for some reason.
Only half the congregation stayed for lunch but we had a nice time and I briefly interviewed Rhodri about the work in Aber. We were a similar number for the evening when I preacched on worldliness, cribbing mainly from J C Ryle. I have wanted to preach on this for a while as I think it is a subject we are all at sea on. Ryle (see Practical Religion) is quite helpful. (I shoul mention here that the title of this blog is a little joke really. I'm sure some people happen on it and think - yes, very worldly,but I would defend myself). A nice thing in the evening is that the third hymn we sang (by Faith Cook) we sang to a tune written by our pianist (Philip Miles). It's a very nice conventional hymn tune that fits the words well.

No comments: