The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 28 2017


It was a good day yesterday again. I enjoyed the hymns once again. We sang tunes by Holst, Sibelius and others which gave a nice edge to things. There is a hymn in our book that was originally set to a well known piece of film music. The music does not appear in the book due to copyright issues and as we do not know the alternative tune given I thought we would have to go for an older hymn tune and drop the chorus.. Anyway, I explained this to our pianist for the morning who appeared not to know much about the subject (although I recall now that he was very much involved in creating the hymn book we use). After I had explained all this to the congregation he played the famous tune anyway out of his head (you have to admire such skills) and we enjoyed singing it.
As ever there were a lot of people missing but some visitors too, including three German young men from somewhere near the Staffelsee on holiday in London. A lovely couple in out church kindly looked after them for the afternoon. We also have a Dutch couple in the church who unsurprisingly turned out to have very good German. (At one point I pointed out the German boys to our Dutch friend and said they were from Bavaria. He said he had never heard of Bavaria. I said you know as in BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke). Well, then he knew where I meant.)
As for the preaching we went through most of Acts 5, which was good. In the evening we did the parables of the mustard seed and the yeast. UBM have their Christian Answer weekend in London this weekend and so there were a few extras in the evening congregation, including an old friend I have known since boyhood. People seemed quite laid back today and ready to stick around for a while - probably because it is a bank holiday weekend.

No comments: