The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 21 2017

Although I got back quite late from Cambridge on Saturday night I think considering William Perkins for a day or two before preaching was a good preparation for the Lord's Day and I was able to preach what I hope were two helpful and effective sermons. We were in Acts in the morning and I am glad that rather than simply preaching on Chapter 5:1-13 I began back in Acts 4, focusing on the normal first before the abnormal. A challenging message nevertheless. In the evening we were looking at that great parable, the parable of the weeds. Full of instruction. The evening service was preceded by communion. No new people today and quite a few missing all told but decent numbers. Loved the hymns today.

No comments: