The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 20 2017


This past Sunday I was in Grace Reformed Baptist Church in Hilperton, Wiltshire.  (See here). I have preached there once before. My sister-in-law and family attend there. They meet in a primary school, It's always difficult to know what to preach in these situations. The family were with me so I wanted to use something they might not remember. Sinclair Ferguson's exploration of Philippians 3 set me thinking of that wonderful book (not that I stole hardly anything) and so I selected a fairly evangelistic sermon on Philippians 3:7-9 for the morning and 4:8 for the evening. They are lovely people and it was good to be there. It was nice to have further fellowship with some after the evening meeting.

No comments: