The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Yes, that really is what they are singing

Lyrics in popular music can often turn out to be not quite what you thought. Sometimes they really are,  however. I've been listening to an early Norah Jones track with the Peter Malick Group - Things you don't have to do - for some time now and just subliminally taking in the reference to Benny Hinn but then wondering if I was imagining it.. I just checked and it really is there.

Bill, doesn't call me anymore

I hear, he's found religion.
He's watchin' Benny Hinn
With a big blonde-haired apprentice beautician.

All the words and gesticulations that came before,

They don't seem to mean a thing
You can feel fine to drop a dime
If you're ever hanging by a string.

Ain't it just a little scary sometimes
To find the lies that you know to be true
Find you smiling about
Things you don't have to do
Things you don't have to do

No comments: