The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 19 2017


This week has brought some twists and turns and so once again I find myself unable to report on the Lord's Day until now. Numbers were very good in the morning (pretty much out of Bibles once again) and once more a little low in the evening. We had at least one new lady in the morning and other newbies also came. One oddity was that I tried to help the Iranians by having one of them translate my sermon heads into Farsi which I then reproduced on the notice sheets. Imagine my consternation when nearly halfway into the service there were no Iranians in sight. Soon two turned up, both well able to cope with English. Apparently the recent Spring equinox marks the beginning of Iranian new year hence the no show. There were plenty of others present still from various places and I am hoping to gather some of them this week to discuss baptism and church membership.
In the morning, we tackled Peter's sermon on the Day of Pentecost, which I hope went well. In the evening we took a break from Matthew to take a one off text John 5:39, 40. This is one of the hundred texts of the Irish Church Missions mentioned here before, one that I think somehow I have missed until now. I'll probably put it on my preached sermons blog.

No comments: