The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 5 2017


Sunday was rather different in that I was sat listening rather than up the front preaching. This is because I have two students from the seminary with me at the present time on placement. I had wanted to have them preach on two different Sundays but it turned out easiest if they both preached on the same day. I led the communion to begin the day using a communion address from John Owen. The two were also keen that I should lead, which I did although I think it would work better if they had taken it all. Anyway, Thapelo from South Africa preached in the morning from Ephesians 4 on living out the gospel and Alexander from the Netherlands in the evening from Nehemiah on spiritual awakening. They both did very well, especially Alexander in that he was not preaching in his mother tongue. Nevertheless, there is room for improvement and I will be trying to help them with this.
Attendance was good, especially in the morning, although there were quite a few missing. There was another new lady who I hope we see again. Most of the Iranians were there. We also had a visit from someone who I thought had given up us so that was an encouragement.

No comments: