The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Changes at London Seminary



 News from the Principal







Dear Friend

Twenty years ago, I left the legal profession to train for pastoral ministry at London Theological Seminary (as it then was). I took that significant step because I was convinced that God was calling me into pastoral ministry. I pastored Banbury Evangelical Free Church for eight years subsequently, a time of challenge, joy and, I hope, fruitfulness in gospel work. In 2007, ten years ago, I left that work for a full-time post at LTS, succeeding Philip Eveson as Principal in 2008. The call to pastoral ministry has, however, never left me and in recent years has become stronger and stronger.

I therefore took the decision last autumn, after much prayer, thought and discussion with my wife and a few close friends, to investigate the possibility of returning to pastoral ministry. This was in the consciousness that, in God's goodness, the work at the Seminary is in a stable and healthy condition. The result is that I have accepted a call to the pastorate of Bradford on Avon Baptist Church. I will complete my time at the Seminary, therefore, this summer and take up my new post in the autumn.

It has been a very great privilege to serve as principal of this Seminary for the past (nearly) nine years and to work with my dedicated and gifted colleagues here. The experience of helping men to prepare for pastoral ministry is uniquely rewarding. I will miss it tremendously. At the same time, my wife Sarah and I are looking forward with great anticipation to my move back into pastoral ministry. I hope to retain some teaching involvement at the Seminary and my concern that men intending to go into the pastorate should have the best training possible will not diminish.

Please pray for Sarah and me and the church at Bradford on Avon, as we move there, and for the Board of the Seminary, as they pursue the process of looking for a new principal. Thank you for your continued support of the work here.


Robert Strivens
Principal

Pray for us too at Childs Hill as we adjust to being one elder less (GBB)

No comments: