The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 8 2017

It's rather ancient history now but I did mean to include a report on last Sunday. We had good congregations morning and evening (when I say "good" there were 20 in the evening which is good for us). We are till benefiting from the fact that some students haven't gone back and a few others are around from the holiday period. We will be more back to usual next week. I decided to do a one off in the morning. For some reason I have hardly preached on Paul's conversion which can't be right. So I launched out on message on Acts 9, which was a good idea I think. We had tea in the evening together and then I got back to Matthew looking at the Sabbath from the opening verses of Matthew 12. It was good to go over such material again. We will be on it next time too as that part of Matthew gives a double blast on the same topic. This week we considered works of necessity and piety and next time it will be works of mercy. I may be wrong but I thought I preached better this week than last. It would be nice to know why. Perhaps it's a matter of getting into the groove or may be I felt more dependent having been busy at the Carey all week. (One of my members reckons I always preach better, or longer at least, when I come back from a conference).

No comments: