The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Eccentrics 2017


 I long ago realised that it is not possible to record everything on this blog I want to and there are times when things just don't get covered. I don't want to let the opportunity to mention the Eccentrics Conference in Swansea go by. For several years now Steve Levy has run this.more recently from the church he pastors in Swansea, Mount Pleasant. I went last year after a bit of a lay off. My records suggest this is only the fourth time I've been. One thing that swung me this time was that I was able to stay with my son who is a student in Cardiff and meet another son who is now pastoring in Aber plus my father-in-law who also came down. I think we were about 40, all men ministering in Wales, apart from myself.

I like the laid back formula and the fact I get a bit nervous about who is there and what they might go and say (Steve is friendly with the continuationists from Newport for example). Anyway the speakers were Pete Greasley from Christchurch, Newport and a friend from the States Dave Harvey (Westminster Seminary graduate, executive director of Sojourn Network, pastor at Four Oaks Church, Tallahassee, and author of several books including Letting Go: Rugged Love for Wayward Souls). Steve himself started us off with an exposition (in the chapel as the electrics temporarily went). We always had Paul Blackham too, this time on angels. We also had good sharing sessions with John Williams (Gorseinon), Andy Pitt (Merthyr), James Sercombe (Crickhowell) and others.
The food as ever was excellent, the fellowship great and the atmosphere very positive. Thanks Steve and all at Mount Pleasant. Your efforts are much appreciated.

No comments: