The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 4 2016

A new month is here so we sat down at the communion table to begin the day. The day's services were well attended in the morning and not so well attended in the evening. There are colds about and that keeps some away. Our Korean friend was there, our Iranian friend seems to have disappeared but a Brazilian lady came for the first time. I preached again from Galatians 4 with some passion and clarity I trust. One oddity was that I inadvertently ended up choosing the same hymn for communion as we then used to close the morning meeting (O Jesus Christ grow Thou in me it was). In the evening I preached on the second part of Acts 3. And here's another curio. Research into my archive revealed that I had preached on the whole of Acts 3 in one go only as far back as August 2, 2015. That one I called The message of transformation and these more recent two Transformation in the name of Jesus Christ and Repent and turn to God. I'm not sure that this second attempt over two sermons was any better and hopefully not any worse.

No comments: