The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, November 22 2016

This last Lord's Day was an encouraging one. I thought we may not getting anyone to the all age Sunday School but there were six our best turn out so far. We looked at the next section on the church in the 1966 Affirmation, the part on church officers. We also had communion in the evening, which was fine though we have sadly lost the person who used to bring the bread and wine and we still have not sorted out who is doing it instead (Robinson's fruit and barley apple and blackcurrant isn't quite it). The main services were quite well attended though several people have bad colds, which affected the attendance of some. For some reason I forgot the collection in the second hymn but we coped when I remembered in time for the third hymn. We're very flexible on things indifferent at Childs Hill. I preached from the end of Galatians 3 in the morning and the wonderful closing verses of Matthew 11 in the evening. I'm trying to be faithful out of season I guess.

No comments: