The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, September 8 2016

It was good to be back in harness yesterday. We kicked off with the first of a series of all age Sunday Schools and I was very encouraged that there were five of us present. We are looking at the subject of the church, using the 1966 Affirmation of Faith. I then preached on Galatians 1:1-10. I had started on Nehemiah before the summer and got to Chapter 4 but I felt we needed something different to that. Lots of people away again for various reasons. We managed to have lunch together, however, and though we were not a large number, it went off very well. We were quite a few less in the evening but not too bad. I preached from the first 10 verses of Matthew 10 and the sending out of the Apostles. I was a little longer than usual. Providentially, there were a good number of Dutch people present. Not only were there seven people from the two families who have just started at the Seminary but a lady I had not seen before sat at the back and she turned out to be from Amsterdam (one of my deacons is also half Dutch!). A Polish visitor also returned after having been in Poland for much of the summer. So all in all a good and enjoyable day.

No comments: