The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 19 2016

I preached yesterday on Galatians 1:11-2:10 and on the next part of Matthew 10, from verse 16. There was communion in the evening. I preached on the Galatians passage years ago. I'm not sure what I said but I felt like I'd got hold of Paul's point this time - the supernatural or divine origin of the gospel. I'd never really seen Paul as so significant in confirming this fact. With Matthew I drew out eight principles for today. There were lots of encouragements with visits from London Seminary people and a colleague in the ministry and his wife in London for the morning. A Polish lady who promised to come again actually did - always encouraging. We started with our Sunday School on the church. Numbers were down a bit but we'll press on with one more next Sunday before I am away for two Sundays.

No comments: