The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 14 2016

I was sitting in the pew (and it really was a pew) yesterday again, listening to my father-in-law Geoff Thomas. He preached on Mark 1:1 and Matthew 11:28 and had lots of good things to say that were very helpful. I was rather tired and would have appreciated more illustrations but one can't complain. Nice to chat with people, especially over a cuppa after the evening meeting. We also enjoyed the children's story in the morning with its sound effect. My son and his family were in the front pew. Their two year old and my mother-in-law (she has Alzheimer's) were both singing the hymns after their own fashion,as was I. Make a joyful noise, eh?

No comments: