The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Copa Cader Idris, Pengader

I like to do a bit of walking in the holidays and I persuaded two of my sons yesterday to accompany me up Cadair Idris, which I had not climbed before. We got up and down in the recommended five hours but I did find it a real struggle I confess. Unlike Snowdon, Cadair is uphill practically all the way and there are no cafes en route or at the summit. We took the Pony Path (Llwybr Pilin Pwn), which beginning in the north near Dolgellau. It is the easiest but the longest of the main trails. Its length from the mountain's base is 3.1 miles (5 k) with a 2,000 feet (600 m) climb. You start in  a wood with a stream nearby but it is soon more exposed. It was a perfect day for it. The cool breeze was much appreciated as we ascended. The views on such a clear day were stunning. Plenty of people were coming up and down but it was hardly crowded. I notice that Matthew Parris went up recently. See here.

No comments: