The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting Wednesday July 6 2016

It was hard to shut out thoughts of the game last night and get along to prayer meeting. I found it more difficult than I expected, This after all is uncharted territory. We did our best. We were fairly low in numbers as it turned out (nine again I think) but just as much to pray for as ever. First, we looked at 2 Timothy 3:14, 15. I thought I'd keep 3:16, 17 for another time. I did consult John Piper's recent book on Scripture A peculiar glory and found it helpful though little of it could easily be used with these verses. By the time we got back home it was all over for Wales, 2-0 down. I'm not sure if I'm sorry to have missed it or not. Being in the final would have been great but unlikely.

No comments: