The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day July 3 2016

I knew there would be lots of people away yesterday. As it turned out there were more away than I thought but visitors morning and evening made up for that a little. We began with communion, looking at Psalm 22. In the morning service I preached on Nehemiah 3. It wasn't until I actually read it in public that I realised that it must be one of the most difficult chapters in Scripture. At least I'd printed out a map showing all the gates with a reference to each one so there was some hope of following progress. The sermon, I hope was much easier to follow. I was conscious of a lady in the congregation who rarely comes, there with her family who come form time to time. In the evening two different younger women had looked us up on the internet and decided to come. I was a little anxious but we seemed to be what they were looking for so I hope we see them again soon. I preached from Matthew 9 and on fasting and more. I was a little brief perhaps. As ever, there were lots of others missing for various reasons, some not always apparent.

No comments: