The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 12 2016

By arrangement with the church I usually preach away for four Sundays in the year.  Yesterday was one of those Sundays. I was down in Surrey, preaching at Pains Hill near Oxted. The congregation is small but committed and it is always a joy to be with them. One of the bonuses is that I usually get to see my old college friend Jonathan Avery and his family. They have three girls so it is quite a different vibe to our own in some ways. Very refreshing. I preached on Isaiah 57:15 and the storm on the lake in Matthew 8. Back here Sihle Xulu from LTS preached and it all went very well I understand.

No comments: