The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 3 2016

 
I was again surprised at such decent sized congregations, even with so many away as it is holiday time. Being the first Sunday of the month we began with communion as we do. I then preached on Revelation 17, which was really against worldliness. I was slightly unsure about leaving worldliness largely undefined, although I think we live in such a diversified world that I think it is hard to get down to specifics. I agreed that a list of rules does not really work but what do you do then? I think it really is a matter of constant self-examination. In the evening we went to Jude 20, 21, a revival of a golden oldie, which went quite well. People sometimes ask what are the great texts of Scripture. That certainly is one of them.

No comments: