The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting March 02 2016

We were back to our regular form of meeting last Wednesday. Some 14 of us gathered and we looked at the closing verses of 2 Timothy 1. This is the story of Onesiphorus and how he refreshed Paul in Rome. It is biographical, therefore, and very practical. After I had spoken on it I remembered that I had taken it as a subject some time ago. When I checked it was in fact November, 2013 - so not so very long ago. It was interesting to compare the two sermons and see the differences. One thing that I had noticed this time round that I had not seen previously was the chiasmus that is undoubtedly there. I didn't check to see if anyone agreed but I just looked it up now and I see someone else advocates it here in fact with a little elaboration on my scheme. My emphasise this time was more on being grateful that others help us than urging people to be helpers, which was my emphasis in 2013.
I notice as I add tags to this blog that I blogged on Onesiphorus here.

No comments: