The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting February 10 2016

There were 13 of us present last Wednesday. We were looking at one of the big texts of Scripture - 2 Timothy 1:12. As it turned out we had sung the Daniel Whittle hymn with the chorus taken from there - I know not why ... But I know whom I have believed, etc - on Sunday but I had us use the same tune and chorus (changing But to for) with the Isaac Watts hymn also based on the same verse  - I'm not ashamed to own my Lord (often sung with the chorus At the cross, at the cross). It worked well. I still use my kindle to preach from and somehow had downloaded an earlier version with one or two good stories missing. Thankfully, some interaction at the end drew them out of me. There were a hundred things to pray for and we spent a little long on gathering that material so our prayer time was a little shorter than I would have liked but there was plenty of praying, which is good.

No comments: