The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting January 13 2015

The gas was off at church last night (the sinful mind notices that it happens just when it gets a bit colder) but we managed to heat the parlour up enough to be comfortable for the most part (I lost one quiet prayer to the fan heater behind me). Around 11 of us gathered to pray and to consider the opening verses of 2 Timothy together. I'm not sure if we've looked at 2 Timothy before. Certainly not in the last 20 years anyway. Starting the epistles is always a little difficult I find as their beginnings are all slightly formulaic. We had a nice moment I thought when I asked the difference between mercy and grace (virtually the only interactive moment of the evening) and one of my sons was able to give the right answer very easily (mercy is not getting what you do deserve and grace is getting what you don't deserve).

No comments: