The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 1 2015

Numbers seemed to be down rather yesterday for various reasons. I'd tempted to be discouraged but I was preaching on Philadelphia, a weak church but a blessed one and on Gideon, who, as we all know, was told to reduce his numbers and victory followed. We even had David and Goliath for the kids in case anyone missed the point. We began with communion, of course, as a new month is here. I quoted part of Nick Needham's article on Luther in the current Banner mag, where he says that Luther would urge us to see the sacraments as what God does for us not vice-versa. It was a good day all in all, if difficult. One of my members kindly looked after me and my son as the rest of the family was away. I always like going to her flat as you can see for miles from the twelfth floor, even when it's foggy, like it was yesterday.

No comments: