The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting October 21 2015

Unsurprisingly we were a few less this week than the week before. We took another tree and looked at it - this time the olive tree, focusing on Zechariah 4, Matthew 25:1-12 and Romans 11. We sang "Give me oil in my lamp" which I just about got away with. Again, we were fairly interactive, which I think is good but I was overlong once again and probably didn't leave enough time for prayer. Such things involve a lifetime of fine tuning. We used to finish at 9.30 pm but I've reined back to 9.15 pm, which is good but it means I need to manage the time better. Do you know why some olives are green and some black? I didn't until yesterday. How about green grapes and red? I've known that for years.

No comments: