The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting October 14 2015

Well, who'd have predicted? There were 17 people there last night. We usually have 10-12 I guess. I'm sure it wasn't because they knew I was going to speak on fig trees! I think it was just a few things coming together at the same time. Anyway, I did pursue our current project of looking at trees by turning to the fig. The fig plays a lesser role than the vine I guess but we looked at Jeremiah 24 and the parable in Luke 13 and especially the cursing of the fig tree in Mark 11. Fruitfulness was once again the main call but with other nuances too this time. We also had a very good time of prayer, seeking the Lord's face. Funny thing, my wife made me a fig and goat's cheese for lunch yesterday, so the theme of the day was figs, perhaps.

No comments: