The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 25 2015

The extra hour meant we were all a little bit less rushed than we can be I guess. We started with a small group looking at the doctrine of sanctification in our Bitesize series. Towards the end a young student living nearby joined us so we began to get to know him. He brought a Bible with him. I can't remember when I last saw someone arrive with a Bible in hand. We were about 40 in the morning and half that in the evening with a few away but some visitors in too. I preached on the letter to the church in Sardis in the morning and then on Gideon and in the evening. We had a prayer meeting before the evening meeting - we are continuing to meet about getting our children's work started. It seems as far off as ever.

No comments: