The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Recent Trip to South Wales


On Tuesday evening I took my third son off back to Swansea for his final ear in the university. We stopped briefly in Cardiff to collect stuff and drop stuff off, seeing his girlfriend and my second son. I then stayed the night in Cwmbran with my sister. The next day I went with her over the hills via Pontypool and Hafodyrynys to Machen where my sister teaches in the Christian School there. The school has been going for over 30 years and although I've long been aware of it I'd never seen it. It is refreshing to think of 120 kids growing up in a godly environment not the one I grew up in. This is their website.
We were then in Moriah, Risca, for a funeral. My mother's sister, Auntie Joan, died a month ago. She was born in 1929 and was the second child of my grandparents' seven who grew to adulthood. (Joan was one of twins but the other died at birth). I read the eulogy her daughter Marion had prepared. The minister led well.

No comments: