The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting September 2 2015



We were 11 tonight. We looked at Psalm 13. It's a brief psalm (only six verses) that starts in the doldrums of how long and ends on a note of joyful praise. I don't think I'd preached on it before. I heard someone have a go at it this week and thought it would be a good for us, which it appeared to be. Good time of prayer too. I couldn't find a version of Psalm 13 in or hymn book. This is my attempt
 
How long, Lord, will I be forgot?
How long your face not see?
How long my thoughts churn, sad at heart,
How long my foe mock me?

Lord my God, look on me, answer,
Give light, from death save me;
"I've overcome" my foe will say,
Foes glad my fall to see.

But in your cov'nant love I trust;
Salvation glad to see.
Sing gladly to the Lord I must,
For he's been good to me.

No comments: