The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 2 2015

A new month arrives and so we began with communion. I am away for the next three Sundays so I just wanted to do one offs today so I went for Daniel 6 and Acts 3, wonderful chapters that are full of good teaching. (I'd decided on Daniel 6 before I knew lions were going to be in the news). I was unusually long am - 42 minutes (I haven't preached over 40 minutes since March. I dropped our second reading again so the service wasn't overlong). Lots of good things in both chapters, some of which I hope I brought out (see here). Although some were away there were visitors present so we were a decent size am and pm. There were people missing I had hoped would be there, however, and so that is always disappointing.

No comments: