The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

i thank You God for most this amazing day

i thank You God for most this amazing day:
for the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky;
and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes
 
(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun’s birthday;
this is the birth day of life and of love and wings:
and of the gay great happening illimitably earth)
 
how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any - lifted from the no of all nothing –
human merely being doubt unimaginable You?
(now the ears of my ears awake
and now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
e.e. cummings 1894-1962
 
I don't know much about old e e cummings except his penchant for small letters. I like this poem though. (Everything in me wants to change that first line but that is what he wrote). See here too.

No comments: