The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Aberystwyth Conference first weekend 2015

We are pursuing our traditional policy of attending the EMW annual conference here in Aber. That week begins with Sunday preaching. The "official" preaching was in Capel Y Morfa where Dave Gobbett (the new minister at Highfields, Cardiff) and Chris Rogers, now in Carmarthen preached. We, of course, went to hear my father-in-law in Bethel, the larger church across the road from Alfred Place used on this Sunday year by year. An exhibition in the basement meant there was no relay but at least it wasn't hot and sticky as it often is.
Geoff decided to look at the seven words of the cross, which is a great subject but meant that the two Sunday sermons, which looked at Luke 23:34 (Father, forgive them ...) John 19:26–27 (Woman, behold your son ...) Luke 23:43 (Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise) and
Matthew 27:46/Mark 15:34 (My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?) John 19:28 (I thirst) and John 19:30 (It is finished) each came in three 15-20 minute bursts rather than a sustained look at a single topic.
The final saying (Luke 23:46: Father, into your hands I commit my spirit) was kept for Monday morning when people gathered again to hear the last in the series. As is tradition I read and prayed then Geoff preached. It's good to be here and already there has been opportunity to meet with friends old and new. We look forward to the week ahead.

No comments: