The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Retro Album of the week 25 - Regatta de Blanc

Reggatta de Blanc is the second and very successful studio album by The Police, first released in late 1979 and including their first two No. 1s: Message in a Bottle and Walking on the Moon. It was their first album to reach No. 1 on the UK Album Charts. The title appears to be modelled after their first album of the previous year Outlandos d'Amour (Regatta de blanc the name of one of the tracks is apparently a pseudo-French phrase meaning white reggae, which is what a lot of this is). Uniquely in this blog list, it is not currently in my collection in any form. I checked it out on Youtube, however, and it stood the test of time. I then began to wonder how I knew it so well. Had I borrowed it from someone? It was only after a while that I recalled buying it some time between 1983 and 1987 in vinyl form. By the time this album came out I was 20 and able to take a rather detached view of the popular music scene. I liked The Police because although it was a pop band, it had an excellent drummer in Stewart Copeland (brother of Miles who later tried to get Jan Akkerman and Sting together) and an excellent guitarist in Andy Summers (spotted playing with Akkerman when he was last in Holland).

No comments: