The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 10 2015

We started the day yesterday with a few of us gathering to look at reconciliation in our Bitesize Theology series. The morning service was a little down in numbers. We seemed to have a lot of Nigerians present for one reason and another, although one whole family was missing for some reason. There were four children for Sunday School during the sermon, which is good for us. I preached on the opening verses of 1 Corinthians 16 on the subject of giving. I took opportunity to note what the passage does not say as well as what it does say. In the evening we had tea before the meeting as we do every other month. A Muslim lady came for the service. I believe it was her first time in a Christian church. Providentially a former Muslim sat next to her and chatted to her before we started. The lady had to leave before the sermon was over but I think this was to keep a prior appointment rather than because of anything I said. I was looking at the Lord's Prayer and what I had to say about coming to God as our Father resonated, I think. We pray.

No comments: