The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 30 2014

So the last day of November proved to be another silent Sabbath for me. My problems started last Tuesday when I was in such pain that I headed in to an A&E en route home from Wales. The pain abated (with some help) before I left there but flared up again several times over the next few days necessitating another trip into A&E. It was late on Thursday that I decided I would not be able to preach and that more or less proved to be the case. I managed to get to church Sunday evening but until the middle of Sunday morning I was feeling pretty rotten and have been recuperating today.
Thankfully, my fellow elder Robert Strivens kindly arranged for my son, Rhodri, to preach in the morning, and my fellow Welshman and neighbour Spencer Cunnah, to preach in the evening. In the morning I stayed home and listened to a sermon from online (myself as it turns out, that's who I'm used to listening to). in the evening I was there to hear Spencer on Revelation 10. You really appreciate church when you've been deprived of it.

No comments: