The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 21 2014

Yesterday was the last Sunday before Christmas and so we had all our students back and a few others visiting (and some away). It made us a very male congregation I noticed when we sang the chorus to O come all ye faithful. I spoke to the children about the wise men and remembered (just about) to bring my supply of frankincense and myrrh for them to smell. I have preached this year from Paul's letters and the minor prophets. We did two very obvious texts this time - 2 Corinthians 8:9 and Micah 5:2. We had a well attended communion before the evening service and read from Philippians 2. We invited everyone back to the manse after the evening service for mince pies and mulled drinks and most came. Perhaps it is the most wonderful time of the year.

No comments: