The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christmas 2014 - Music

The boys are just finishing off their Christmas video for this year. A big part of Christmas for me is the music. From around December 1 I switch my Holiday section back on on i-tunes and I play pretty much only Christmas music for the month.
I also get some extra input from the radio (Radio 2, Smooth Xmas and Classic FM). I also hear other members of the family playing music too.
The Christmas CD collection is all in the iTunes now. There are 442 selections at present. I got into the two excellent Kate Rusby albums that I began to listen to last year. I also began to explore the Keith Emerson Christmas album. I am still enjoying Jethro Tull and The Roches but my vast Maddy Prior collection (62 songs) is impressing me less than it has.
Of course, this year I went to see Handel's Messiah at the Royal Albert Hall and that was very enjoyable.
In church I try and have us sing almost all the thirty or so Christmas hymns over the month. The new Christian Hymns is a very good selection of well known (Angels from the realms, As with gladness men of old, Christians awake!, Hark! The herald angels, O come all ye faithful, Once in royal David’s, O little town, See, amid the winter’s snow, Silent night!, etc) and less known (Behold the Great Creator makes, Christ is come!, Earth was waiting, See he lies there in the manger, Thou didst leave thy throne, etc) hymns. We also sang Joy to the world and (this time) O come, O come Immanuel.
The other music thing this year is a karaoke machine someone's bought us. That's going to be used a lot over the next few days.

No comments: