The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 23 2014

A good day on the whole. We started on 1 Corinthians 15 in the morning and went over some of the basics of the faith. That is always good to do. In the evening I wanted to get back to Old Testament material and so preached on 2 Kings 5:1 and the beginning of the story of Naaman. I had reworked old material and so it did feel a little stale I'm afraid. It rained all day here and that kept one or two away I guess.

1 comment:

Hermine Clouser said...

This morning we will worship in Middletown Presbyterian, a beautiful brownstone church with stained glass windows on the corner of Water and Union Streets, Middletown, PA. J.Gresham Machen of whom you speak engineered a split from the mainline Presbyterian, but I think we have come full circle, burying hatchets, choosing battles and finding communality in a new era.