The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Sycamore Row

So not having read a John Grisham for a while I enjoyed the latest, Sycamore Row, on Kindle. Typically, while not being great literature, it is interesting, well told and very enjoyable. Grisham has a knack of assembling the right number of characters, fixing them on your mind and interesting you in their story. Wealth is always in the background and plenty of coffee is drunk and food consumed - how much that lures you in I'm not sure. For me there are also constant references to church life and this time the whole matter of forgiveness is raised (Grisham is some sort of Baptist). There are also occasional statistical sound bites too, like the number of lynchings in America. The man's a genius.

2 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

I just finished this book too. Absolutely loved it.

Gary Brady said...

It's real good stuff. I'm behind with my Grisham and had not read the one before but I've just finished it (The Racketeer). I was much less impressed.