The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

William Brock on his father

I found this charming reminiscence in the Life of William Brock (first minister of Bloomsbury Chapel) in a life by Charles M Birrell.
“Over the bureau in our sitting-room was a shelf, with the very few but very good books which my father used, among them Scott's 'Commentary,' in three quarto volumes, which he had bought in honour of his marriage.  I have seen him take one or other of these down after service on Sunday mornings, and then, leaning his head on his two upraised hands, give himself to the examination of the passage that he had there before him — probably the passage on which Mr. Gibbons had been preaching. Thus all that I can call to mind about my father relates to the religious and the good. How pleasant this is to me, I cannot tell you. Such a parentage as mine was better to me than rubies. I feel it to have been to me beyond price!"

No comments: