The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Happy Xmas (worries over)

So it's December tomorrow so I've started listening to my Christmas music. There are 400 tracks on my ipod so plenty of variety. First up today was the cynical Peace on earth by U2. Then we had some Enya, Bach and carols. One good moment was when a Beatles Christmas greeting came on. Another early one today was John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War is over). I always mishear the lyric "Another year over" as "Another year older" which may be a better lyric. I certainly find it a real challenge when it is paired with the line "what have you done?". The other thing misheard with this track is the opening whispers where I long thought John and Yoko were indulgently saying Happy Christmas to themselves but the whispered words are actually Yoko whispering "Happy Christmas, Kyoko" (Kyoko Chan Cox is Yoko's daughter with Anthony Cox) and John: "Happy Christmas, Julian" (his son with Cynthia).

No comments: