The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Wales, The Evangelical Library, Cranford

Last week was very busy chiefly because I was busy ferrying my sons to their respective universities in Wales.
Firstly, on Monday I spent much of the day at the Evangelical Library, first to hear Jeremy Walker give and excellent lunch time paper on Andrew Fuller. We struggled up to double figures once again and so it was a worthwhile affair. There was a committee in the afternoon and then in the evening Jeremy led six of us in the first of our Between the Lines discussion groups (on culture and whether it exists). This is a difficult thing to pull off but at least we've made a start.
On Tuesday I took Dylan (along with Rosie from the church, also a student in the same institution) back to Cardiff. He has new digs further up the same street. The rain was pelting down but we managed to unload quickly enough. I couldn't hang about as there was a church officers meeting that night. Then on Friday Eleri and I took Dewi to Swansea for the first time. That's 50 miles further on and less explored territory for us though Dewi is living in the student village which borders on Gower Road, where Eleri spent the first six weeks of her life. He seems to be settling in. Having been relieved from our normal Friday night duties with children and young people we were able to pop in and see my sister and he children in Cwmbran. We were able to give Charlie and boy friend Dave a lift back here.
On Saturday I chaired the annual meeting over at Cranford where Basil Howlett was the preacher. I was able to join Robin, Muno and the children for lunch beforehand in the manse. That was really good. We were a decent number at the meeting. The Nairobi bombing was dominating thoughts when I first arrived as Muno's parents nearly always go to that mall - but not this time! It was the next day that we heard of the atrocity in Pakistan. What a wicked world this is but one where the Word continues to go out.

No comments: