The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 16 2013

We had communion yesterday evening. About 20 were present in the main evening meeting. Having come to the end of Numbers, I thought it would be good to look at a single text in a more evangelistic way. We considered John 12:48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. In the morning we were looking at the next part of 1 Corinthians, bringing us into the early part of Chapter 6 and the part about not taking brothers to the law courts. One feature of the day was the arrival of two quite different women. Let's call them Fatima and Linda (not their names). Fatima is not a professing believer. She arrived early to the morning service and was in deep distress about her spiritual state. It is not clear what was at the root of this. We spoke to her as best we could. Linda is a professing believer but I am sure we were not what she was looking for. Indeed, in conversation it was quite a surprise to learn how unorthodox she is on some things. I am assuming that we will not see either next Lord's Day but who knows? What a joy if we do.

No comments: