The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 29 2012

Sunday was a little bit different in that I was preaching over in South Hackney Evangelical Reformed, about half an hour to the east of us. Robert Strivens was preaching here in Childs Hill. We had good congregations at Hackney, where I have preached from time to time in the past. Many of the people there have come out of Pentecostalism but the church itself is thoroughly conservative and reformed. They have a good age range there and it was good to speak with some after the services. We could not meet in the main church and had to use the hall next door but that probably suited me best. I looked at John 3:13-15 (the bronze snake) and Numbers 20:1-13 (the waters of Meribah). More on the ERC here.

No comments: