The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day 29 July 2012

Yesterday we had the last in the series on Ultimate Realities, looking at Satan again and this time his binding by Christ from Matthew 12:29. Encouraging I hope. In the evening I took another passage about self-denial - Luke 14:25-33. Had some nice illustrations from the Tesla tower (made that too long I'm afraid) and the Battle of Leipzig. Challenging I hope. With the young people back from camp we were a better number though some are away on holiday, at camp and helping with the Olympics outreach. We sang some hymns we don't normally sing including Gordon T Booth's Hear the sound of angels singing, Plunket's Our Saviour has risen and Henry F Lyte's Jesus, I my cross have taken.

No comments: