The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Pause, my soul!

I used to like to choose from Grace Hymns this Gadsby hymn. Sadly, it didn't make the cut for Christian Hymns, which we now use. I don't think it's in many modern hymnbooks.

1    Pause, my soul! and ask the question,
            Art thou ready to meet God?
        Am I made a real Christian,
            Washed in the Redeemer’s blood?
                    Have I union
            To the church’s living Head?

    2    Am I quickened by his Spirit;
            Live a life of faith and prayer?
        Trusting wholly to his merit;
            Casting on him all my care?
                    Daily panting,
            In his likeness to appear?

    3    If my hope on Christ is stayèd,
            Let him come when he thinks best;
        O my soul! be not dismayèd,
            Lean upon his loving breast;
                    He will cheer thee
            With the smilings of his face.

    4    But, if still a total stranger
            To his precious name and blood,
        Thou art on the brink of danger;
            Canst thou face a holy God?
                    Think and tremble,
            Death is now upon the road.

4 comments:

Chris Rule said...

A hymn I have always liked because it says something few if any others say.

Paul Burgess said...

Why the switch? Is Grace Hymns still in print?

Gary Brady said...

Grace Hymns has been superseded by Praise! which is not entirely to my liking so we have gone with the more conservative new Christian Hymns.

Unknown said...

Always been a hymn at heart. Wakes me up when I slack