The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Novelists 13 Thomas de Quincey

Thomas de Quincey 1785-1859 was an English essayist and translator best known for his novel Confessions of an Englsih opium eater. I did start to read it once but put it down somewhere and can't locate my copy at the moment. He moved in the right literary circles but led a strange sort of life, reflected in the novel to some extent I believe. Money problems were never far away. Apparently he suffered neuralgic facial pain in the form of "trigeminal neuralgia" ("attacks of piercing pain in the face, of such severity that they sometimes drive the victim to suicide." according to one source)  which I mention only because my father also suffered from it until he had an operation to render that side of his face without feeling.

No comments: